Fluids

Fluids

Topics relate to Fluent, CFX, Turbogrid and more

Are there hanging nodes at the octree transitions in the poly-hexcore mesh?

• cbooks777
      Subscriber

Hi I would like to know if the cartesian octree mesh used in the hexcore regions of both polycore and tetcore are identical and more importantly are there hanging nodes at octree refinement transitions? This is very important for my application as I need to know whether to avoid 1/8th octree transition or not because I cannot have hanging nodes. I understand at the polyhedral to hex transition the cells are conformal but within the actual hex dominant region and when there is an octree refinement are these considered polyhedral cells or are they just hanging node? If they are treated differently can someone point me to the documentation so I can understand how the fluxes are treated.

Thank you

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
    • cbooks777
      Subscriber
      Hi Keyur Can you clarify if the hexcore mesh has hanging nodes or not? The documentation you linked states that transitional cells are polyhedrals but it does not state whether these are transitions from the wall region to the hexcore or if they are refinement transitions within the hexcore region. Clearly there are more nodes on one face of the hex cell at refinement points meaning there is additional interpolation occurring here. My understanding is that this is a hanging node since the flux going from the 4 small hex cells into the single larger hex cell must be treated with interpolation and cell weighting. If this is not a hanging node then what is?
      Thanks
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      Hello,
      In case of poly hexcore mesh, the cells in any transition are treated as poly.
      Regards Keyur
      How to access Ansys Online Help Document
      Guidelines on the Student Community

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.