January 12, 2023 at 10:39 amorestisg1997Subscriber
Often times it happens that there exists an initital penetration between different CAD geometries that you cannot eliminate by moving the geometries further from each other. Upon definining any contact type rather than bonded, this penetration is resolved during the simulation, however it produces artificially high stresses at the contact interface. What are the best practices to solve this common problem?
January 12, 2023 at 11:34 amNanda VerallaSubscriber
When the contact force gets concentrated to a vertex or edge, the force is localized, and as the mesh size reduces, the area associated with the nodes in contact decreases, causing the stress to increase. Try to add a fillet or chamfer near the contact to eliminate those stresses. Or you can also try the interface treatment option, it should be set at adjust to touch. Any gap between the two bodies will be “filled” by ANSYS (without modifying the physical geometry) and the two bodies will be modelled as touching. This will result in a more robust and realistic model.
Also go through the channel for many more interesting videos here Ansys Learning – YouTube
Thanks and regards,
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Colors and Mesh Display
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- User manual
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.