Fluids

Fluids

Arun Pattanashetti

• arunsp453
      Subscriber

In the ansys solver I defined time step size as 0.001  and asked the software to save data of velocity filed  for every time step. As a result of this I am able see 1000 .Dat file. Now I would like to play with those data in MATLAB to analyse the dynamics of flow. when I click on the .Dat file which is of zip file,  a kind of fintgz file will be seen from which I am not able to flush out the data. So any body can help me how to extract .dat file in MATLAB to do dynamic analysis?? 

please find the supporting images

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Can you please insert screenshots here: ANSYS STAFF do not download attachments. Which software are you using?  And why you are unarchiving the data file? Anything related to MATLAB that is the wrong Forum for that.

• arunsp453
      Subscriber

• arunsp453
      Subscriber

I am using Ansys fluent, I need those data in matlab so i would like to know about the procedure to extract.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Best to save the Files in Fluent without the".gz" format (that means in legacy *.cas and *.dat files). But the question is what does Matlab require? Do you want to extract some informations from Fluent and read it into Matlab? I guess via dat files is the wrong way. But as I said that is the wrong forum for that!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

If you want the data for something else, you can (probably) export an ASCI format, or write out an interpolation file from Fluent (avoid binary unless you like programming).  Unless you want to try and figure out then write a reader for Matlab: note you need to review the contents of a case & data file, the latter isn't going to be much use without the former. 

• arunsp453
      Subscriber

I would like to read data in this format. But with the .Dat file it is not possible to read so inquiring for the alternate solution. 

• arunsp453
      Subscriber

@rwoolhou.

I am able to get the format which I was desired. so 'export during calculation' in ASCII format helped me to get a file that I can open now in note pad.

thank you

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.