Fluids

Fluids

Asking about the calculation for total flow rate for particles ?

• Lylad
      Subscriber

Hi, I hope you are all good, I just wanted to confirm how to calculate the total flow rate (kg/s) for my surface injection of particles in a two-way coupled simulation?

I have been using the equation total flow rate (kg/s) = the mass of the particles / time the particle injection runs for?

But I just want to confirm that is correct because I want to define the total flow rate as i'm using a coupled system.

Thank you any help on this would be great :)

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You set the flow rate as whatever you want it to be. The surface injection then releases parcels from each surface facet. Each parcel will contain a fraction of the mass released, this may not be the same as a particle mass.
      The total mass released will be equal to the set flow rate multiplied by the length of time you've modelled, or the duration of the injection depending on how long you've simulated.
    • Lylad
      Subscriber
      Hi Rob Thank you so much for your reply I understand that now, I just have another question. I am modelling a cow barn and I was wondering if theres a way to set humidity for the barn ? I have figured out how to set the temperature but I want to set relative humidity too.
      Any help with this will be great thank you so much:)
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Yes and no. We work with mass and volume fractions in Fluent so you'd set the fraction of water vapour in the barn and then (if you have vapour & air in a species mixture) Fluent will report RH back to you.
    • Lylad
      Subscriber
      Hi Rob, thank you so much for your response I was able to set the temperature so would this have an effect on the humidity?
      Also how can I set the water vapour fraction in the barn ?
      Thank you so much any help would be great :)
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Patch the vapour fraction, and you'll also need to set a suitable value at the inlet: you need to turn on the species model and have a mixture of water-vapour and air). Temperature & pressure have an effect. Note, depending on the model the vapour fraction is often near enough constant in an HVAC model, it's the local T&P that vary.
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Interesting application.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.