3D Design

3D Design

Attaching a spring-mass system to a beam

• asceduardo
      Subscriber

I would like to model a simply-supported beam with a cantilever extension, to which it is attached a spring-mass system, just like the figure below:

Modelling the beam was quite easy. However, so far I could not properly model the spring-mass system, and the reason for it is that the point set up for the point mass, in SpaceClaim, will simply not appear in Workbench. Theoretically, my structure should contain the following points:

P1 --> 0, 0, 0;
      P2 --> 750 mm, 0, 0;
      P3 --> 800 mm, 0, 0;
      P4 --> 1000 mm, 0, 0;
      P5 --> 750 mm, -1 mm, 0;

and the spring should be defined between points 4 and 5 (that is, the attachment point and the point mass). I have tried connecting points 4 and 5 with a line in SpaceClaim, but it has not worked either. Of course, defining a truss between these points would solve my problem, but I prefer defining a spring element between such points. 

Does someone know how could I do that? In case it helps, the WBPZ file of my model is attached.

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

Ansys staff can not download images/attachments on the student portal, so if you want to reach a larger audience to get answers from, please insert the images inline.

Being said that did you model your beam as a line body in SpaceClaim? Are you physically modeling the spring?

You can do it in following way:

Create a freestanding remote point for P5

" alt="">

And the create a spring from vertex to the remote point:

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.