Fluids

Fluids

Automatic Exports as .txt File

Tagged: , ,

• holdy97
      Subscriber

Hello all,

Is there any way to get the automatic exports to export as a true .txt file? I'm currently using the export settings shown in the attached picture, and every time I solve the problem I have to go append .txt to any of the files I want to later import into Matlab. Very annoying, any help would be appreciated

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      You might export in ASCII format Fluent Solution Data.
    • holdy97
      Subscriber
      Hi That is how I am currently exporting (see image) but it does not export with any type of extension such as csv, txt, etc. I always have to go on and add .txt after the fact so that i can then import into Matlab. Am hoping to be able to export directly with .txt file extension
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      I do not download any attachments. Insert your image in your answer. ASCII is a text like format so I do not understand the ambiguities you are facing. I think about one line of script in Third Party program to do that or any kind of converter or shell script to change the type.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      The format is plain text, and if you name the export as filename.txt Fluent will usually respect that. Otherwise you'll need to alter the import in Matlab to spot the files without the .txt extension.
    • holdy97
      Subscriber
      Thanks, I'll try that. Adding the .txt in Fluent doesn't seem to work because it is transient data and I am appending the filenames with "flow time"
    • ai0013
      Subscriber
      Try appending the ".txt" to the file-name via TUI and by defining an auto-execution command. Here is an example:

solve/execute-commands/add-edit command-1 1 "time-step" "display/save-picture \"/gpfs/scratch/alainislas/fluent/data/myFile_%.06t.png\" "

In my case I am saving an instantaneous snapshot of my graphics window. Note that %.06t appends the flow-time with 6 digit precision + ".png" appends the file format. I guess you can use something similar for your purpose. As suggestion, avoid naming folders with strings containing spaces.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.