Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Automatic host list into FLUENT

• mcuma
      Subscriber

We run ANSYS through Open OnDemand web portal as interactive job on HPC clusters, and this job may have more than one node. We would like to tell the ANSYS products that these distributed nodes are available to them so that users don't need to do it (and possibly make mistakes).

I did this with CFX, putting a file into ~/.cfx akin to what CFX/bin/cfx5parhosts generates:

SIMULATION CONTROL:

EXECUTION CONTROL:

PARALLEL HOST LIBRARY:

HOST DEFINITION: notch308

END # HOST DEFINITION notch308

HOST DEFINITION: notch309

END # HOST DEFINITION notch309

END # PARALLEL HOST LIBRARY

SOLVER STEP CONTROL:

Runtime Priority = Standard

MEMORY CONTROL:

Memory Allocation Factor = 1.0

END

PARALLEL ENVIRONMENT:

Parallel Host List = notch308,notch308,notch309,notch309

Start Method = Intel MPI Distributed Parallel

END

END

END # EXECUTION CONTROL

END # SIMULATION CONTROL

The nice thing about this is that it hard sets the hosts and MPI so user does not need to figure it out.

I'd like to do the same thing with FLUENT, and likely other ANSYS tools, as well, but, I can't find any documentation in that regard. Fluent GUI does allow to enter multiple hosts, but, user needs to know the host names, We would prefer this to be fed automatically to FLUENT when it starts.

I would appreciate if someone knowledgeable about this replied if this is possible and if it is, how can this be set up.

Thanks,

Martin

• Surya Deb
      Ansys Employee
      Hello,
      Please check this link [https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v211/en/flu_ug/flu_ug_parallel_start_windows_command.html?q=host%20list]. You can provide a host list during the launch to start Fluent using those specific hosts.
      For example, the full command line to start a 3D parallel job on the first 4 machines listed in a hosts file called hosts.txt is as follows:
      fluent 3d -t4 -cnf=hosts.txt
      Regards SD
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.