General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Automatic update parameter in workbench for topology optimization

• Mrjiang
      Subscriber

I am trying to perform a topology optimization on a structure using the wind pressure result from the fluent domain. The building is closed by the fluid enclosure, and it has a volume cut out for the building. The empty volume has height, h, equal to the building. I parameterize the height at the fluid enclosure as one of my study target. For example, the height of h varies from 50 to 200. In my initial geometry with height of 50, the geomtery is updated and finished the analysis in the fluent domain. The analysis will move to the next design point and continue with fluent with the updated height. However, the geometry is unable to update at the mesh component after the second design point. For example, initial 50 ij ok, second 100 is ok, error begins at the 200 where the geometry is updated in the geomerty component, but not the mesh component. Unless I reset the mesh component and update the cell from the upstream data, the height remains at 100. I am trying to vary the height in every design point and try to make it automatic simulation. Can anybody help?

• Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee
      Might be a license sharing issue. If you are using SpaceClaim for you parametric geometry creation, try closing SpaceClaim, then run the Parametric update.
      In general, search YouTube for "ansys parametric" for several examples.
    • Mrjiang
      Subscriber
      I designed my model using Autocad and had several models. One of the model is designing the enclosure(fluid) with the empty volume and a second model that imports the structure geometry from Autocad and create the enclosure within Spaceclaim. Neither of the model work. Is it due to the my geometry that isnt created in SpaceClaim?
    • Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee
      The method of geometry creation is not the problem.
      Are there there any additional message in Meshing on why the mesh fails at 100?
    • Mrjiang
      Subscriber
      It does have a message "One or more parts were found to be unmodified so smart updated." Then the geometry remains unchanged.
    • Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee
      So the message means the geometry did not update.
      Can you test a simple parametric cube model by itself and see if you can update DP parameters?

• Mrjiang
      Subscriber
      So I tried using a simple shell building geometry. The initial height of the building is 50 meters. The first parameter is increasing the height by 50 meters at DP6, therefore, the total height of the building is 100 meters. At the first parameter (DP6), the geometry is able to update at the MESH cell, creating a 100-meter model. However, when the design point changes, the geometry (DP7) is updated at the Geometry Cell while the MESH cell remains the same from the initial parameter (DP6). I set the DP7 as "Current" and opens the MESH Cell. The same error message : "One or more parts were found to be unmodified so smart updated." is listed as Warning under Message. Could this be a geometry problem?? I am using Autocad to create my geometry and export it as IGES file into Spaceclaim.
    • Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee
      Try adding an "output" We can use Mesh Node + Elements to test.
      In Mechanical, select "Details of Mesh"
      Check the boxes to expose as output parameters.

• Mrjiang
      Subscriber
      I tried this setting and the result from both design point remains the same(unchanged). Same error (circled) occurs when I set DP1 to current. The model should have 150 (original 50m +100m) meter in height when DP1 is selected.

• Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee
      Try disable Smart CAD Update?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.