Fluids

Fluids

Automating using steady state solutions to feed transient

• johanna2016
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am using ANSYS fluent workbench to run a steady state solution to initialize a transient solution. I have successfully done this manually but having trouble automating the process for different parameters in workbench (my parameter is inlet velocity and a changing dt for the transient simulation).  I have tried writing a macro within the Calculation Activities and this works for the current design point but when it shuts down Fluent to run the other design points, or I have saved the project then open it again, the macros have disappeared.  The ANSYS manual suggests using workbench to link one solution into another but this doesn't seem to work either.  Has anyone successfully done this?  Are there other ways to go about this?  Thank you in advance!

• rachels1001
      Subscriber

I don't know if I am interpreting your question right, but if you are looking to initialize your simulation with a set of steady-state data, you could create a journal file that reads in a steady-state data file (file/read-data/file name). Alternatively, if you just want to use certain parameters, you can automate the setting of most initialization parameters using TUI commands within journals  (ex. define/boundary-conditions/mass-flow-inlet "inlet name" ...etc. This would let you set your inlet velocity on a chosen face.

Also, you can set a changing time-step for a transient simulation by using the "solve/set/time-step" TUI command in a journal, running the simulation for a certain number of iterations, and then changing the time-step again within the journal.

• johanna2016
      Subscriber

Thank you for your reply.  You have interpreted my question mostly right - what I am struggling with is using this procedure for multiple design point parameters.  So, if I use a journal file as you suggest or run the simulation manually from steady state to transient, how would I set Workbench up to run this way for every new parameter design point? 

Thanks.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Look into Solution Properties you might find how to use specusl ini data. Alternative is using Automatic Case Run and Modification in Fluent where you add a command to read ini data.
    • johanna2016
      Subscriber

Hi Amine,

Thank you for your advice.  I have used the automatic case run and modification using macros as you suggested; however I have found that when I close Fluent then re-open it (even if I have saved the project), the macros have been deleted. The same thing happens when running parameters in workbench - after the first "current" design point when Fluent closes, it again forgets the macros I wrote and saved.  Any thoughts on how to fix this or is this normal?

Johanna

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Are you creating macros via the GUI and recording button clicks?  

• johanna2016
      Subscriber

Yes, that is correct.

• hk1234
      Subscriber

"Hello,

I am using ANSYS fluent workbench to run a steady state solution to initialize a transient solution. I have successfully done this manually ..."

Could you please explain me how you did this. I am trying to do similar the same without succes yet.

Thanks!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Use the above approach, but use TUI commands rather than the GUI. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.