General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Average Von Mises stress on named selection

• JasonP
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am using ansys 19.0 and have noticed that when creating a result for the Von Mises stress on a named selection in workbench i also get a column with the average VM stress on this selection.How can i create an identifier for just the average stress column? I need to reference this value in an expression for a custom defined result.

The custom defined result would be  defined as the ratio between the Von Mises stress of each point along a specific body vs the average VM stress of the named selection.I am guessing somelthing like  =seqv/average_identifier would work right?

The average ansys returns should be a single value for the whole named selection each timestep and not one for each element of the selection thus not creating a dimension problem with the ratio right?

Thank you for your time

• Rohith Patchigolla
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jason, 

It is not possible to create an identifier for just the average stress column. 

The only way is to manually enter the value of the average in the custom user defined result (seqv/average). 

If you are interested in Max value of this custom result i.e. Max(seqv/average) and looking to perform a design point study, which needs automation of the above manual operation, you can create one parameter for average (say P1) and other parameter for Max(seqv), say P2 and create a new parameter P2/P1 in the parameter page. 

Hope this helps. 

Best regards,

Rohith 

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jason,

To add to what Rohith already said, I guess you can also do this via a python script as discussed in the docs.

@Rohith: Feel free to correct me here especially if this is not feasible. I haven't used this before either.

~Sandeep

• JasonP
      Subscriber

Ok thanks for the help everyone

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.