Ansys Products

Ansys Products

AVX 512 support in the MKL Library for Ansys Forte

• RaB_7382
      Subscriber
      Can anybody Please specify for sure as to whether the latest version of Ansys Forte has AVX 512 support or only AVX2.nThank youn
    • Mike Rife
      Ansys Employee
      Can I ask what is your interest in AVX2 vs AVX-512? Do you have some hardware decision to make and this is a needed data point? Or just curious? Other?.I come from the structural analysis world, so this might be off. But I think that it's possible that AVX2 gives better performance for an algorithm that is solving a set of uncoupled algebraic equations (hope I have that right!) that is typical with CFD codes compared to the (implicit) FEA solvers that are performing a lot of matrix math (i.e. inverting the stiffness matrix). I had this site book-marked and remembered that AVX2 vs AVX-512 was discussed for LSTC LS-Dyna solves (the testing was a few years ago). See slides 10-11 here:nhttps://www.hpcadvisorycouncil.com/pdf/LS_DYNA_Skylake.pdfnIt seems that the auto CPU clock slow down done during AVX-512 operations outweighs the benefits of using any enhanced vector operations in AVX-512 for the type of operations that explicit structural codes are doing. I think this can be extended to CFD...though probably not in all cases. Anyway, maybe a place to start.nMiken
    • RaB_7382
      Subscriber
      Thank you so Much Sir. Especially taking your time out to reach out to me. I have not found such detailed perspectives anywhere. Thank You. nApart from it, there is no information anywhere .Ansys highlights AvX512 distinctly for its Mechanical package as you have detailed so beautifully in such concise manner without the jargons. All we get to see how the ludicrously costly GPUs help Fluent. No word on the AVX angle in the CFD package.nThank you again.nn
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.