General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Axial displacement

• mekafime
      Subscriber

Hello,

please, how can I restrict the top face of that tube so that it only moves axially?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Mekafime,

Go to Coordinate System and Insert a Coordinate system. Pick the face and a coordinate system origin will be created at the center of that face. Use Hit Point Normal to align the Principal Axis with the face.

Then you can use that coordinate system in the definition of the motion of that face. 

Perhaps you want to apply a Displacement, then you can type a zero for X and Y and a value for Z in that coordinate system and it will take that face and only move it axially and not allow any other motion.

Regards,

Peter

• mekafime
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

How can I specify a hint point so that the axis is in the direction I want?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Mekafime,

After you pick the face once to define the Origin of the coordinate system, you see this:

Then in the Principal Axis, change the Axis to Z (or whichever axis you want to call axial), and Define By Hit Point Normal, then click on the face.  You can also Define By Geometry and then pick the face then click Apply. Define By Geometry is not useful on curved surfaces, but Hit Point Normal works on both flat and curved surfaces.

Regards,

Peter

• mekafime
      Subscriber

Thanks !

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.