September 4, 2018 at 3:19 pmjoestabileSubscriber
When I use a bearing to ground connection in workbench, the shaft I am supporting with the bearing appears to be not constrained. Not sure what I am missing in the scoping.
September 4, 2018 at 4:11 pmpeteroznewmanSubscriber
Here are the constraints you have in Static Structural currently:
What is missing is a rotational constraint on the shaft. You also have a frictionless support on two flat faces at the bearings. Those create a zero Y and Z rotation constraint on the shaft at those faces. I recommend removing that so that the force on the flat of the shaft can create a bend along the length of the shaft where the two bearings support the shaft.
Delete one of the moments, and If you want a total of 200 N.mm of torque on the shaft, change that at the far end. Replace the Frictionless support with a Remote Displacement that fixes Rotation about X and Displacement along X, while all others are free.
Now the model will solve, but you will find the bearing stiffness is much too low as these forces cause large deflections.
Add a zero to both Bearing Stiffness K11 and K22 values and solve to get a more reasonable deflection.
ANSYS 19.1 archive attached.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Colors and Mesh Display
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- User manual
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.