July 2, 2020 at 5:32 pmmerryshan26Subscriber
I am new to ANSYS and I have a question regarding a model I have been trying to simulate. The main problem I have is I could not converge into a solution if I load the model past its yielding. Basically, I am modelling a dowel connection, as seen in the figure 1 below, consist of a bamboo culm, a steel washer connected to the bamboo culm by screws and a steel dowel bolt. I fixed the two sides of the bamboo and enforced a displacement controlled load in the dowel. For all interface, I used ‘frictional’ contacts with a value of 0.2. I am aiming to simulate a simultaneous bearing failure of the bamboo and washer, as shown in the figure 2. I was able to displace it for about 1mm, which is within its elastic phase (Figure 3), however, the model starts unconverging if I load it more (based on the unconverged solution). I tried loading the washer and bamboo individually to see if my boundary conditions, contact pairings, material properties were the issue, but no problems were encountered (Figure 4). It is just when I put them together that the software starts to have problems.
I hope someone could help me with this issue. Thank you very much.
Figure 1 Figure 2
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Colors and Mesh Display
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- Massive amount of memory (RAM) required for solve
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.