General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Bending Of beam

• Varun24021991
      Subscriber

Hi ,

I modeled a cantilever with a load at its free end with a solid block at the bottom of the free end to restrict the bending. I gave fixed support for one end of the beam and the bottom surface of the Block and also i gave contact between the Block top face and the  beam bottom face. Both block and the beam are not in the contact in the beginning. On running and visualizing the results the beam is bending as if there is no block it is penetrating the bloc instead of deforming.

I am performing static structural analysis

Can u suggest any corrections. 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Suppress the block, assuming the block is so much stiffer than the cantilever as to be negligible.

Add a Fixed Support to the face of the cantilever beam, where the contact to the block was.

• Varun24021991
      Subscriber

Thanks Peter..

But actually the scenario is that the block and the beam are not in contact in the beginning, the beam Is free to bend for some distance before coming in contact with the block. So we cannot give fixed support for the face of the beam. Correct me if am wrong 

I also want to see the effect on block so cannot model it as rigid

• Varun24021991
      Subscriber

The same issue i faced while modeling the Compression spring. In the beginning the coils of the spring will not be in contact when we apply load at one end the coils will gradually come closer and finally come in contact and deform adjacent coil if load is high, this is the actual scenario. but when i went through the results the coils were penetrating each other.

I have provided frictional contact between them.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please insert some images of your model. I can give better suggestions if you do that.

• Varun24021991
      Subscriber

Hi Peter please find the image above for your kind reference

• Varun24021991
      Subscriber

Scenario as below

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Add a frictional contact.  Pick the bottom front edge of the cantilever as the Contact side of the contact and pick the top face of the block as the Target side. At the bottom of the details window is the Pinball Region. Set it to Radius and type in a number that is much bigger than the initial gap between the tip and the block.

Under Analysis Settings, turn on Large Deflection.  Change Auto Time Stepping to On and set the Initial, Minimum and Maximum Steps to 100.  This may be overkill, but it is more likely to get you a result.  Cut it back to 10 if it works and try again.

• Varun24021991
      Subscriber

Thanks Peter will try the same procedure as  suggested by you 

• Varun24021991
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

The procedure suggested by you is giving the similar issue , it would be helpful if you can suggest any other procedure

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please explain in detail what is going wrong in your current model and attach a copy to your reply.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.