February 18, 2021 at 2:27 pmkchowAnsys Employee
"I want to simulate a large ring resonator (e.g., ~100 um radius). What would be the best approach using Lumerical?"
Simulating the whole ring with a large radius using, eg, FDTD, can be computationally intensive. There are indeed couple of ways to approach this type of application.
Instead of using FDTD, one way to simulate the entire ring in one simulation, is to use the varFDTD solver in MODE Solutions, there is a white paper on this topic. This 2.5D solver is able to run a simulation with 3D planar structure but just require 2D computation cost. We have an example of ring resonator using the varFDTD solver. Before you run the simulation, you could take a look at the memory report and make sure you have enough computational resources to run the simulation. Another note is that you probably want to increase the “simulation time” setting in the simulation region since light will need more time to travel for this large ring. You might need more than the default 1000fs simulation time.
However, if your are going to simulation an very large ring, this approach might not be the most efficient way.
FDTD, FDE, INTERCONNECT
When the ring resonator becomes very large, it is not efficient to run an FDTD nor varFDTD simulation. Indeed, we can split the ring into multiple component simulations and import the data to INTERCONNECT for a circuit simulation. See this example for more info.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.