Fluids

Fluids

Best way to do validation

• kamikazedeva
      Subscriber

Hi i need to do validation for the NACA 0012 airfoil and i am currently experiencing troubles with my validation process as i need to compare my CFD generated data. What i currently have on hand is my experiment data and the CFD data and i am not sure if i should pluck out 10 points from the CFD graph randomly to generate a chart so i could compare their shapes and values. Or is there any better way that is not so complicated and easy for beginners like me? Please help!

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

With airfoils, the common approach for validation is comparing the lift and drag coefficients. Please refer the following to understand the validation:

SimCafe: Flow over an Airfoil - Numerical Results

SimCafe: Flow over an Airfoil - Verification & Validation

If you use an inviscid flow with a 0-degree angle of attack, the drag coefficient won't match with the experimental (for obvious reasons ).

I'm confused when you say that you "should pluck 10 points from the CFD graph randomly to generate a chart to compare shapes and values". From the attached picture I had a feeling that you were talking about the pressure coefficient (Cp). For Cp plot, you plot it across the entire upper and lower surfaces of the airfoil. So I'm not sure what you mean by "random points".

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.