Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Best Way To Mesh An Aircraft Wing With Ribs

• xuduan
      Subscriber

I would like to do a coupled CFD, and structural analysis of an aircraft wing. However, I've been having trouble with the solution time for my transient analysis. I believe this is due to the thin skin over the wing which distorts the mesh.

Can anyone provide some suggestions regarding the modeling/meshing to reduce the computational time?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Open the geometry in SpaceClaim and on the Prepare tab use the Midsurface button. Convert the skin solid to a surface. Convert the rib solid to a surface. Extend the surfaces on the Repair tab until you have a surface model of the wing.
    • xuduan
      Subscriber
      I tried using the midsurface command in DesignModeler and it gives me poor results. I want to be able to leave everything in DM so since I want to run this using ANSYS batch mode.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      You can do this in DesignModeler. Creating a surface model is required to reduce the solution time in transient structural. Show the model tree in DesignModeler. Where did the wing profile come from? Was it a collection of points that a curve was drawn through? Extrude that curve and there is your first surface. Create a surface at the center of each rib, there is your ribs. You just need to start over on the geometry.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.