Photonics

Photonics

Topics related to Lumerical and more

Best Way to Thermally Tune Varying width ring resonator

• Kent Emmanuel Soria
      Subscriber

Hello everyone, 

I would like to ask what you think is the best way to thermally tune this varying-width ring resonator.  I put Temperature grid attribute from different power ranges of 0 uW to 40 uW in a range. What is the best way to get the normalized transmission given different Temperature grids for this varying width resonator? There are different temperature grids for different power I put in Lumerical HEAT.

Zooming in: 

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

My colleague is busying in other projects so let me try to help you.

Regardless the device geometgry and configuration, you can sweep the heat power built-in the attribute, and measure the transmission as usual. Please try.

• Kent Emmanuel Soria
      Subscriber

I tried editing the power which in heat changes the heat power built but to no avail when I inserted it in FDTD. Did not change the transmission results. I wanted to see a change in transmission results. The change in temp in Silicon was over 200 degree celsius. 

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

Please first visualize the thermal attribute and see if it has the heat power and the temperature. Please refer to this example.

• Kent Emmanuel Soria
      Subscriber

yes it does in Heat I put the sweep for the power and the temp profile changes temperature from 300K to 550K. I then saved the sweep as a mat file and put it into FDTD but still not work. 

• Kent Emmanuel Soria
      Subscriber

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

If you can visualize the attribute with different powers, it will have an index that you can sweep the attribute parameter. At each sweep you have the source mode and transmission monitor so you should be able to sweep the input power and get the transmission in the sweep. When you have the attribute you type in the theromal-optic coefficient. and in the geometry you specify this attribute:

I suppose you have done all of the above. Please refer to this example  https://optics.ansys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042833673-Thermally-tuned-waveguide-FDE-

The attribute has to be applied to the material of a gemotry. I am not sure what is missing there.

If problem still exisits, please give all the related setting screen shots.

• Kent Emmanuel Soria
      Subscriber

The power of these sweeps are 0 uW and 0.3 uW according to the temp grid data for the power. As mentioned above, they should have different temperature profiles. But I cannot see any differences and their power output results. The sizes of the document files are also exactly the same, indicating no difference in processed information. 

Also, is this correct? I just piut the "temperature" name. Do I need to do anything before running the sweeps? 

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

I am not sure if you ever checked the "temperature" and see the temperature changes with power. And if the change is very small, say on the order 1e-5 or 1e-4, and your device is not sensitive to such small change, you won't be able to find the difference. You only need to test 0uw and 30uw.Please follow the suggestion.You can also compare minor change of the material refractive index directly. eg, export the material data, say, add 1e-5 change, and import the material again, and then test if the result changes.

In addition have you set the temerature attribute with the thermal-optic parameter correctly? what is the thermal-optic coefficient? what is the max change of the refractive index with the highest temperature?

• Kent Emmanuel Soria
      Subscriber

Will it work even if my simulation is 2D? Or does it have to be 3D?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

2D should be ok if the attribute is in the proper location. Make sure the temperature changes with the heating power and can create enough index change that this device can sense.

• Kent Emmanuel Soria
      Subscriber

I use Si-Palik as the material. Should I use silicon-dT like what you use in your "Thermally tuned waveguide website"??

• Kent Emmanuel Soria
      Subscriber

Ok, I think it is because your Silicon Palik doesn't have index perturbation information. I had to insert it from Si-dT like this:

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

You are right. The base material is static at room temperature. In order to get the index perturation you have to set the thermal coefficient.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.