General Mechanical

General Mechanical

bicycle brake cable (housing/cable) using Cable280 Element

• Montassar
      Subscriber

Hi,

I want to simulate a flexible cable, without bending stiffness, moves inside a curved housing cable.

1- Do I have to use Line body for the cable or it is better to use an orthotropic material?

2- Cable280 element is it suitable for this simulation, and how to implement using APDL commands?

3- Is there any simulation example I could download which used this element?

• Bill Bulat
      Ansys Employee
      Verification manual problem #31 comes with an associated MAPDL input file (vm31.dat) that provides an example of CABLE280 usage. This might help you set up your commands in Mechanical.nCan you supply further details on why your commands didn't work? Did the solution fail to converge or was there some error that prevented the MAPDL solver from starting the calculations? nI suspect your biggest challenge will be the CONTA177/TARGE170 contact between the modeled representation of the cable and that of the sheath through which it passes. You could model the sheath with PIPE288. If the sheath is a wound construction having less stiffness in the axial direction than in the transverse directions PIPE288 supports EX, EY, and EZ so that the stiffnesses may be made different. If convergence is a problem with CABLE280 you might try a small cross (to reduce bending stiffness) section BEAM188 with solid circular cross section. The finite bending stiffness of BEAM188 might be more numerically stable than CABLE280. The radial gap between the small radius cable modeled with BEAM188 and the sheath modeled with PIPE288 can effectively be closed with real constants R1 and R2 of the CONTA177. You might need to relax or even remove force convergence criteria. For a problem having great flexibility such as yours, it might only be important to consider the moment disequilibrium as a criterion for convergence.nn
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.