September 9, 2019 at 5:13 pmmateusrSubscriber
I'm analyzing a multi-body system where there is one contact (frictionless) between the faces of two bodies.
When I perform the evaluation and check the video of the deformation/stress, I noticed that in the face where I have the frictionless contact, there is penetration of one body inside the other.
Is this a bug? Someone know why this penetration is happening?
Thanks in advance.
September 9, 2019 at 8:28 pmpeteroznewmanSubscriber
Many of the contact algorithms require a very small penetration as part of the normal operation of the algorithm. That is where the concept of contact stiffness comes into play. The contact force = contact stiffness x penetration. If you want less penetration, then increase the contact stiffness. If you look at the Details window for the contact, you will see Normal Stiffness and you can change it from Program Controlled to Factor. The default factor is 1.0 so you can use a factor of 10 to reduce the penetration by an order of magnitude.
You can read more about it in the ANSYS Help system. Look at the Contact Technology Guide.
September 10, 2019 at 7:11 pmmateusrSubscriber
Thank you Peter!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Colors and Mesh Display
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- User manual
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.