General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Bolt pretension in linear static analysis

• AhmedDesoki
      Subscriber

Dear folks

• Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee
      nnThe error message above indicates rigid body motion which indicates some of the part is unconstrained and can move freely. Using named selection can you see which part has the node indicated above. If it is bolt then you can use bonded contact for bolt head and shank to transfer pretension to clamped parts.nnRegards,nAshish Khemkan
    • AhmedDesoki
      Subscriber
      ThanksSorry, I didn't understand you fully. Also I feel I didn't explain my problem fully.nI model the bolt using Body-Body beam connection as shown in the picture above.nPlease explain where should I set the bonded contact?.My analysis type is modal. I want to calculate the natural frequencies of a bolted structure similar to the photo in my first post. To accurately model the bolts, I have to set the pretension force. But I noticed that bolt pretension can be set only for linear static analysis, and cannot be established for modal analysis.nAccordingly, I conclude that bolts cannot be simulated in Modal analysis in Ansys Mechanics. Am I correct?.Thanks and regardsn
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.