3D Design

3D Design

Boolean operation failing with many closely spaced circular pattern of tubes!

• vidyadhar.kpm
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am facing problem using Boolean operation (unite) in Design Modeler.

I have created one circular tube which is making 45 degrees to the plane of paper/screen. Then I created a circular pattern around a central axis such that I have total 16 tubes about that axis as shown in the picture attached.

Now, If I try to unite all the 16 tubes using Boolean operation, it gives me warning saying "No overlap/wrong type".

If I select only the 9 tubes (shown in grey color in the attached second picture) and perform boolean(unite) operation, it is successful. Then the other 7 tubes (in yellow) can also be united separately.

Then If I try to unite the two bodies (formed form 9 grey and 7 yellow) it gives error saying: Operation would result in non-manifold bodies.

Is there any limit on the number of copies of tubes made using Pattern. Because, with only four tubes the boolean operation is successful. If I have more than four, it is giving errors/warnings/ sometimes disappearing bodies on screen.

How to rectify these issues? I request anyone to let me know if there is a way to unite all the 16 tubes to make one body.

Thanks in advance!

vidyadhar

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

As ANSYS Staff, we can not download attachments. Please insert images using insert image functionality. 

please make sure that you have all solid bodies. if you have surface bodies then unite will not work. 

please make sure that you have good overlap between the solids you are uniting. 

if it is line contact or point contact then unite may fail. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Read this discussion, which resolves a similar problem, except the straws are parallel.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.