Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Boundary information in CGNS output

• rkoomul
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am looking for help in writing CGNS files with boundary surface information. I generated a mesh using “Mesher” for a cylindrical computational domain with three boundary surfaces, and exported the mesh in CGNS format. I created the boundary surfaces using “Named Selections” and I used “File -> Export -> Mesh -> CGNS Input file -> Export” to write the CGNS file. When I opened the mesh in a CNGS reader, the boundary surface information is missing. In the CGNS file, all three boundary surfaces that I created using “Named Selection” are grouped into one single boundary surface. How can I export the mesh into CGNS file with all boundary information from “Named Selection”?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Which tool did you use to write out the mesh and where are you reading the mesh into? Could you please provide us with some details here?
      Karthik
    • rkoomul
      Subscriber
      I used ANSYS/Meshing to generate the mesh and to export the mesh file. In the mesh generation program I used the option ÔÇ£File -> Export -> Mesh -> CGNS Input file -> ExportÔÇØ to write the CGNS file.
      I am using CGNS tools from the CGNS developers (https://cgns.github.io/CGNS_docs_current/cgnstools/index.html ) to read the file and convert it into another format.
      I tried it on the student version and a licensed version of ANSYS 2021 R1. Both are giving the same result.
      Do I need to install any other packages/patches to write CGNS files?
      Thanks
      Roy
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello Roy If you assign named selections in SpaceClaim (groups in SpaceClaim), mesh the geometry using WB meshing, and export the CGNS file, the named selections are retained. You should see the named selections retained in Fluent. I hope this helps.
      Karthik

• rkoomul
      Subscriber
      Thank you Karthik. I tried named selection in DesignModeler and it preserved the boundary surface information in the CGNS file.
      Thank you for your help.
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Excellent! Good luck with your modeling, Roy!
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.