Preprocessing

Preprocessing

boundary layer mesh

• salsabeel
      Subscriber

hello   ,how can i determine the first cell height and inflation for boundary layer meshing   (structured  mesh) in icem cfd  and how calculate +y if the  wall is rough bed and have roughness height equal to 0.04 m .please any one who can guide me for proper way to mesh

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Have a look for a y+ calculator, or estimate the size based on the domain and what cell count you need. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

And please go through icem help document. You can create boundary layer mesh in ICEM. 

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v201/en/icm_help/imesh_computemesh.html%23imesh_computemesh

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• salsabeel
      Subscriber

how to know y+ desired that wanted in y+ calculator? These computations are based on flat-plate boundary layer theory is that mean i can use it to calculate  y+   for open channel simulation

please ,can you show me how estimate size based on domain

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

That depends on what you're trying to find out. For lift & drag y+ = 1ish. For free surface tracking y+ may not matter as the free surface is typically not effected by the wall boundary layer in a "normal" sized domain: y+ of 30-300 is usually OK and you need to mesh to resolve the free surface. 

• salsabeel
      Subscriber

in addition to  free surface tracking i want to know energy dissipation  that happened on specified locations and also velocity profile i.e flow characteristics over gravel bed 

thanks

• anindakumar
      Subscriber
    • salsabeel
      Subscriber

thank you for help

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.