General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Buckling check for plate with stiffeners and girder

• thanhttdt
      Subscriber

Hi everyone, 

I have a task to check buckling for transverse bulkhead of the ship by using Ansys, but I do not imagine how to check this buckling. 

Can anyone suggest me the way to check buckling stiffener plate like transverse bulkhead or side shell of the ship?

Many thanks

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Please see this chapter from the manual.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You are showing a drawing, but you need the geometry in CAD.  What CAD system made that drawing?  Is the CAD a 2D program or is there a 3D model available.

You need the geometry to be sheet bodies, not solids, to represent the bulkhead, the deck(s) and the hull of the ship. This is a big task.

How are you going to load this structure to assess the risk of buckling?

I can think of two loads caused by peaked waves. The hull supported at the center by the water and the bow and stern sagging due to gravity, or the bow and stern supported by the water and the center sagging due to gravity.

Regards,
      Peter

• thanhttdt
      Subscriber

Hi SandeepMedikonda,

I cannot connect this link you shared,

• thanhttdt
      Subscriber

Hi Peter, 

Yes this is a big task, now I'm modelling and analyzing load. However, basically, the compression force from deck (caused by cargo) or this force may occur when ship is hogging or sagging

I suppose that the bulkhead like plate with stiffeners, so how about support boundary condition? It can be fixed at the connection between the edges of bulkhead or not?

Now I want to know how to check buckling and get feasible results.

Could you give me any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

If you don't know how to access help, please see these 2 Posts:

Post 1

Post 2

Regards,
      Sandeep

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You need to approach this in stages.

1. Static Structural model. Have the materials, the geometry, the mesh, the loads and the supports to obtain a static stress result.

2. Eigenvalue Buckling model. Obtain a linear solution for the buckling load.

3. Nonlinear Buckling model. Seed the geometry with tiny percentage of a buckling mode. Ramp the load up until nonlinear buckling is observed.

Regards,
      Peter

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.