Fluids

Fluids

Calculation of the heat transfer coefficient in Fluent

• smraniaki
      Subscriber

Can someone tell me what is the best and robust way to calculate the heat transfer coefficient in Fluent? I am modeling the heat transfer in heat exchangers with complicated geometry (laminar and turbulent) and I need to calculate HTC. After some research, I see that the Fluent heat transfer coefficient calculator tool is not so reliable. Found this statement from a forum that was discussed in 2018. Has there been any changes to solve and fix the problem?

Also, If I want to calculate the heat transfer coefficient manually, how to read the cell data adjacent to a wall of interest?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      They're all equally robust, the problem is always in which reference value you use or whether you then compare like for like with an experiment. The definitions (and which reference value is used) are here https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/Secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v211/en/flu_ug/flu_ug_FlowVariableDefs.html
      The "best" approach is usually to take the heat flux out of Fluent, along with the surface area and then calculate the HTC based on temperatures of your choosing. Or to just compare the heat flux with the experiment as you won't measure HTC in that directly either.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.