Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

Can displacement in structural solver generate pressure increase in the fluid solver for 2way FSI

Tagged: 

• StefanM
      Subscriber

I am trying to model a pocket filled with water at the surface of a rubber block. The top of the pocket and rubber block is covered by a steel plate that is compressing them. I am using 2-way FSI to try to determine the pressure increase inside the water pocket due to the compression. The rubber is deforming but there is no increase in pressure in the water pocket, thus the pocket is deforming like it is empty. The pocket has no inlets or outlets, water is trapped between the rubber walls on the sides and bottom and the steel plate on top. The compression is happening slow so the only reason for pressure increase in the water is the pressure exerted by the rubber walls on the water domain but the structural solver sends deformation to FLUENT not pressure.

The fluid solver is converging but the volume and thus mass is decreasing as the pocket is being compressed. I tried constant and variable density and got the same result.

What are the options to make this simulation work?

Thank you!

Stefan

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      One for but given there won't be much (if any) flow in the pocket can you use fluid elements in Mechanical instead?
    • StefanM
      Subscriber
      Hi Rob, thanks for the comment. When I add water liquid to the pocket domain I get an error in structural saying that elasticity is required. I tried to make my own water material and add elastic properties but then the problem is at the interface between the rubber and water. I get bad deformation of the contract surface.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.