Fluids

Fluids

Can fluid flow create rotation of a turbine?

• greg018
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am trying to simulate the behaviour of a vertical axis wind turbine in fluent (v19.2). In order to do this, I have created a rotating mech around the turbine. At this stage, it is possible to apply a rotation speed but I would like to know if there is any function enabling the free rotation of the turbine, as the aim of the study is to determine at which speed it can rotate.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

• Max4
      Subscriber

Hi,

you can use the option 6DOF, it allows the part to move thanks to the fluid forces.

A tutorial on YouTube in order to use it:

Ansys Turbine Analysis || Dynamic mesh || 6DOF analysis

Maxime

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Thanks Maxime!

Good to see you pitching in. We encourage you to continue on this. 

Yes, you will need to use 6dof.

Following video may give you some idea about 6dof. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

• desouzadacosta
      Subscriber

Hi 

I guess so. See the post Raef turbine tutorial (still w/o a solution).

alex

• greg018
      Subscriber

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help! I will try it soon.

Greg

• greg018
      Subscriber

Hello again,

I have followed the tutorial indicated by Max4. I have just one issue and it disable the solving process. In "Dynamic mesh", "Six DOF properties", I entered a mass of 0.05kg and an inertia of 5e-5 (obtained via SolidWorks). The problem is that the program automatically set the value of the mass to 0 when I close the window. I have tried "5e-2" instead but the result remain the same...

Is there any solution?

Thank you.

Greg

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Greg,

If the object only rotates, and doesn't translate, there is no need for the mass, the Moment of Inertia is all that is needed for the dynamics equations.

Regards,
      Peter

• vikas1128
      Subscriber

hey greg018 , i am working on same problem , i want wind to rotate the turbine but i am very confused how to approach  and how to do this problem as i am new to ansys fluent please help me so that i can get solution for my problem ...

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.