Fluids

Fluids

Can I imitate the solar Load model in 2D?

• Yannice
      Subscriber

Hi ANSYS forum,

I would like to imitate a 'solar load' (radiation varying in strength AND direction during the day) in FLUENT in 2D. I know that this option is only available in 3D.

Do you have any ideas/tricks how I could obtain approximately the same effect but then in 2D, maybe by introducing UDFs? And what radiation model is then suggested?

Kind regards,

Yannice

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You could cheat and make the 2d model 3d by making it one cell thick. Problem is the solar track will almost certainly go off plane. A transient expression may be better, link the radiation vector (or heat load) to time.
    • Yannice
      Subscriber
      Hi Rob Thank you, smart solutions! How do I exactly link the radiation vector to time?
      And is there a way to obtain the information about solar angle & intensity from the FLUENT model? (So that I can put it into an own expression for 2D)
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You'd need an expression or UDF. Have a look at the wall radiation bc in Fluent.
      Re the intensity, there will be an equation somewhere, have a look in the documentation as we may reference where we got the data from.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.