Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Can I install the ANSYS on Linux (CentOS 7 with VMware)

• JaeyubHyun
      Subscriber

Good morning.

For the purpose of our future research, I would like to install the ANSYS 2019 R1 on my PC whose OS is ubuntu 18.04 (Linux). 

Through the Googling, I realized that the ubuntu is not supported officially by ANSYS.

However, from the document of ANSYS computing platform support, I found another way to install the ANSYS on the Linux machine as following.
      ========================================================================
      "In addition, ANSYS 2019 R1 supports the following Virtual Desktop Infrastructure:
      NICE DCV 2017.2 (Red Hat 6 and 7, SLES 12, CentOS 7) with VMWare vSphere ESXI 6.0 U3 or Citrix XenServer 7.1 (Hypervisor Layer) GPU Pass-Through only"

========================================================================

So, regarding this, I would like to ask you a few things.
      Q1. Based on the explanation above, currently I have a plan to first install CentOS 7 with VMware vSphere ESXI 6.0 U3 in ubuntu 18.04, and then secondly to intall the ANSYS on the pre-installed CentOS 7. Through this approach, is it possible to install the ANSYS on my PC?

Q2. How can I obtain or download the "VMWare vSphere ESXI 6.0 U3" ? Is it free or shoud I purchase it?

I am new to the installation of ANSYS.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
      Thank you for your reply in advance.

Best wishes

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi JaeyubHyun,

First of all, could you add something to the subject of this thread so that people can click into the thread and see this content ?

Please find my answers to your questions below

A1: Unfortunately, the host OS also plays a role, especially graphics related. That's why the list below also shows what host OS should be.

https://www.ansys.com/-/media/ansys/corporate/files/pdf/solutions/it-professionals/platform-support/remote-display-virtual-desktop-support-2019-r1.pdf?la=en-in&hash=A7415DD83CF80B488759E949FA40DAC78BB3B084

A2: I don't think these are free. You can check their corresponding vendor websites. However, because of the above answer, I think you may have a better shot (still not a good shot, just relatively better) at making it work if you just directly install it on your OS.

Thanks,

Win

• JaeyubHyun
      Subscriber

Dear Win

Thank you for your reply.

Please answer to the related inquires below.

Q1. If I should use the Linux as the OS of my PC (actually because of project, I don't have any choice), should I install the CentOS 7 as the host OS without any virtual desktop program (e.g., VMware)?

Q2. In this context of Q1, can I use the "multi-booting" to select one of the CentOS and the Ubuntu as a host OS?

That is to say,

A) Two partitioned-space of HDD is made.

B) In one HDD space the Ubuntu is installed, and in the other HDD space the CentOS is installed.

C) The ANSYS is installed in the CentOS.

D) When I boot-up the PC, I choose the CentOS as my host OS if I need the ANSYS, otherwise I choose the Ubuntu for other project.

Is this procedure mentioned above possible?

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Jaeyub Hyun.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jaeyub ,

A1: That would be one of the good choices but please note that the point release does matter. See the full list and details of OS that we support at 2019 R1 here

https://www.ansys.com/-/media/ansys/corporate/files/pdf/solutions/it-professionals/platform-support/platform-support-by-application-2019-r1.pdf?la=en-in&hash=816B65E1F3B4A652E91BAE3CD17BDD06B1C6F974

A2: This is an interesting question. I've never seen (or at least don't recall from long time ago) people doing it this way. My thought would be this 'should' be fine since your CentOS systems is totally unrelated to Ubuntu systems. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee but please feel free to try and let us know.

Thank you.

Win

• FHRAEM
      Subscriber

Hi Jaeyub,

we use Ansys- Electronics since Version 13 with Ubuntu or other Debian based distributions.

Actually we use 18.2  and it works fine.  But be aware with every new release you'll have to install some (more,different) libs and

maybe create some links by hand.

Anybody out there who got 2019R2 running ?

Stefan

• iPower
      Subscriber

it would be great if you can help me with this. I have a related problem that after installation,

• if I use 16-bit color remote desktop, which works for other app and the glxgears appears correctly as well, but then when I open AnsysEDT, the whole remote desktop will crash after showing a flash of back screen. 
      • if I use the 32-bit color remote desktop, then I can open the Ansysedt but the color looks very strange with transparent background. glxgears also has a transparent background. The photo for this is below. 

Please help.

Unfortunately, the Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac for some reason does not support 24-bit color depth option anymore.  

Is there a way to fix this? 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.