General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Can “Time” be an output to my model simulation?

• Diane
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am working on an upper airway model which I explain in more details in a previous discussion under the below link.

Hello,

My model is a 2D cross section of the upper airway as shown in the image below (constrictors to the left and hard/soft palate to the right).

I am applying a negative pressure normal to the inner walls of the airway, pushing the walls to move towards each other and the airway area to decrease gradually (the model is static). An example of total deformation is shown in the image below.

The objective is to determine the pressure at which the airway collapses which means that I would want to determine the pressure at which the opposite airway walls touch or are very near (distance between walls is smaller than a specified threshold). The contact between the opposite airway walls is frictional, the pressure is ramped and the analysis is split into 15 initial substeps.

I am currently using the contact tool (status) to approximate the time at which the walls touch and then checking to which pressure this time corresponds but it is very rough and doesn't seem correct. Is there a way I can get the exact value of pressure at which the airway walls come into contact for the first time?

Best regards,

Diane

• SaiD
      Ansys Employee
      Hi Diane,nUnder the Details of any output quantity, Under Definition, there is Display Time. By default, it is generally 'Last' i.e. the last time step. But you can specify the times you want e.g. 1.4097. When you solve the model, it will display results at that time.nYou don't even need to resolve your system. You can simply specify the Display Time, then right click on Output quantity and say Retrieve This Result.nnHope this helps,nSain
    • Diane
      Subscriber
      Hi Sai, nThank you for your response. nThis is what I am currently doing but I don't want to have to enter the time manually. I am trying to see if there is a way in ANSYS to make this time value at which the Gap become 0mm itself be the output variable so I can then use it in a parametric study for example (like a user defined result or something). nBest regards,nDiane n
    • Diane
      Subscriber
      HelloArray, nI hope you're doing well. I am tagging you in this post because you have helped me out in a previous discussion (linked in the first post) for the same purpose. What I wanted to do is to figure out a way to automatically get the Closing Pressure of the upper airway to include it in a parametric study. We tried doing so using the Design Exploration direct optimization for the gap and pressure but it wasn't a good approach. nI am now looking into the Solution Commands (APDL) to try to get the collapse pressure or at least the time of collapse. I saw that there are Gap conditions solution commands but I've never used APDL commands before and I don't understand it enough yet. Do you think it would be feasible? nThanks again for all your help!nBest regards, nDiane n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Hi Diane,nUnfortunately, I am not skilled at APDL so I won't be able to help with this.nMy skill is limited to inserting a few lines of APDL into Command objects in Mechanical.nGood luck!nPetern
    • Diane
      Subscriber
      Hi Peter, nThank you anyways! nAll the best, nDianen
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.