Fluids

Fluids

Can you output wall shear stress instead of pressure from Fluent to Mechanical?

• crumberg
      Subscriber

I am attempting to import shear stress data from Fluent to Mechanical in Workbench. Workbench only gives the options to import loads as "body temperature" or "pressure" the way the model is currently set up. The research conditions I am comparing my model to, however, consider shear stress rather than pressure. Is there an output control in Fluent that would send shear stress data to Mechanical instead of pressure data?

• Nikhil Narale
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

The pressure force variable that you are importing in Mechanical is the composite total force, which includes both the pressure and the viscous forces from Fluent. 

In your case, you may have to play with the results during post-processing. 

Thank you, 

Nikhil

• crumberg
        Subscriber

Thanks Nikhil. Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, this means that the "pressure" force at each node is not necessarily normal to the surface but is the sum vector of the normal and shear forces at that node?

• Nikhil Narale
      Ansys Employee

Yes, you got it right. 

• crumberg
        Subscriber

Edit: reply removed because the problem described therein resulted from selecting the incorrect import region

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.