Fluids

Fluids

Cell Reynolds vs Reynolds

• RCamp
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

I just have a general question about the cell Reynolds number vs Reynolds number. Is it correct to say that the calculation of the reynolds number traditionally is concerned with the entire volume where as the cell reynolds number is only concerned with the element volume?

If this is true then my next question naturally is are they connectable in anyway? And could someone please give me an example of when the cell Reynolds number would be useful?

Thanks in advance!

-RCamp

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

1/Yes: Cell Reynolds number is nothing else but a kind of Peclet number. It is different from the device Reynolds number

2/Spatial discretization is where such a dimensionless number might be used for

• RCamp
      Subscriber
      Can you please explain further what is meant by the cell Reynolds number being a type of Peclet number?

Thank you!

-RCamp
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Cell Reynolds Number is a special case of the Peclet Number. The Peclet number can be defined for Heat and species transport not only for momentum transport. If defined for momentum then it is equivalent to the cell Reynolds number.  Just look after Peclet number and (spatial) discretization and you will find a lot of references. All that stuff is discussed in the  book of "Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow" by Patankar.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.