Fluids

Fluids

CFD Analysis w/ Heat Transfer of non-ventilated enclosure

Tagged: , ,

• elthamer
      Subscriber

I was wondering if it was possible to run a CFD analysis with heat transfer of a non-ventilated enclosure. Inside this closed box (enclosure) is a heat generating component. Fans are placed inside the box to circulate the air. The box is submerged in water and the heat is exchanged to the outside environment through the box walls. Below is a simplified illustration of a system similar to what I am interested in analyzing. I would like ANSYS to calculate the air temperature distribution and velocity profile inside the box. Since there is no air going in and out of the system, I don't have an "outlet" domain. I am not sure how to set this up in CFX. Are inlet and outlet domains necessary to run a CFD anylysis?

• Surya Deb
      Ansys Employee
      Hello, No, inlet and outlet domains are not necessary for this. This will be like a closed system with kind of Natural/Forced convection setup. nYou will need to run this model as transient analysis as steady state might be very difficult to converge.nYou can make use of Subdomain approach to create source terms to mimic the effects of the fans inside. Essentially they will be Momentum Source Terms.nRegards,nSuryan
    • elthamer
      Subscriber
      Thanks, Surya. I will give that a try. Do you know if there's an existing tutorial for a closed system analysis by any chance? I am currently a beginner with ANSYS CFD analysis. n
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.