Fluids

Fluids

CFD in a boat

• ManuelSoler
      Subscriber

Hello, I would like to conduct the following multiphysics project and I would like to know some details on how do you suggest doing it.

I want to simulate a boat in water (for such I'll use the multiphase flow), my question is, depending on the weight and the loads and its locations on my boat, it will have a degree according to the flat-water. How can you simulate this equilibrium between boat and water, in order to determine my model and flatwater line location to then conduct the multiphase CFD analysis?

Regards,

Manuel

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You can use the 6DOF solver to allow the boat to float/pitch/yaw based on the flow but that'll take more knowledge of the software and a longer run. To start with I'd fix the boat location and look at the wake etc.
    • ManuelSoler
      Subscriber
      Thanks Rob Do you know of any good resource/tutorial to further understand the 6 DOF solver?
      I would like to start with an easy geometry as the current project I am doing is more of an optimisation nature
      Thanks for the first hint on where to look at
      Manuel
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      If you're doing an optimiser study I'd start with a fixed position: the 6DOF runs will be even harder to converge than normal multiphase. If you click on Help there are a load of tutorials and links to the Ansys YouTube channel. There are additional materials on the Ansys Learning Hub but you need a (paid for) subscription for those.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.