Photonics

Photonics

Charge simulation

• DwLixixi
      Subscriber

Hi,my device size is 50 x 50 microns and the film thickness is about 1 micron. During the charge simulation process, I want to perform a 3D simulation. How can I set the maximum and minimum side lengths of the mesh to run? 2D simulation, I set 2 microns and 0.05 microns to run. Please give advice on Mesh settings in 3D simulation, thanks a lot.

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

If you have materials with large volume, you can use larger max edge length. If it is narrow and long, it can be a little challenge for meshing. May be you can first try your initial guess. Or make it running faster, you can try (2,0.1) um.  and later you can do converge test by reducing the edge length.

Since this is Finite Element method, the element quality matters. If the edge length has larger difference, it can take more steps to create the mesh. Please try and let me know if you have questions.

• DwLixixi
      Subscriber

“ If the edge length has larger difference, it can take more steps to create the mesh.”Do you mean trying different mesh settings multiple times?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

yes. The rule of thurm is, for uniform volume it only needs coarse, larger edge length whereas for small dimension, large gradient of doping or static fields smaller edge length is needed. The meshing begins from large edge length and then refines it by those constraints, until the iteration limit is reached.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.