General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Checking bolts mass (beam connections total mass)

Tagged: ,

• ciema
      Subscriber

Hello, is there a way (maybe APDL command?) for obtain beam connections total mass in my numerical model? I mean maybe there is a way to find total summary mass and subtract mass of geometry visible in Geometry properties from it to obtain bolts mass. I have already checked Solve.out file (Precise mass summary)., but this mass is equal to mass in properties (impossible).

• Sheldon Imaoka
      Ansys Employee

If you only need to do this once, go to the "Solution Information" branch and review the "Solver Output". Use Ctrl+F to search for "MASS SUMMARY", and look for "*** MASS SUMMARY BY ELEMENT TYPE ***". There, will you will a list of mass per element type ID.
      Below that should be a listing of element types per element type ID (such as under "*** ELEMENT MATRIX FORMULATION TIMES"). Beam Connections are represented with BEAM188, so find the BEAM188 element type IDs that come after contact/target element type listings, and sum the masses for these element type IDs.
      (It's possible to do this via APDL scripting if you need to store the mass as a parameter, but the above process is quite simple to do instead of needing to learn APDL.)
      Regards Sheldon

• ciema
      Subscriber
      Thank you Sheldon! But what if i have Beam 188 eleements as a bodies (not connections elements) too ? Can I tell exactly (based on this table) which ones are which?
    • Sheldon Imaoka
      Ansys Employee

Yes, you can use this technique for Line Bodies, too, although the BEAM188 will be listed before CONTA17x and SURF15x elements in the listing (their element type IDs will be listed first, before the loading/contact elements).
      Note that, generally speaking, your mass of BEAM188 elements will be equal or very close between geometry (line bodies) and mesh (BEAM188), so you could also select the "Geometry" branch in Workbench and click on "Home ribbon>Worksheet" to see the masses of your line bodies. Right-clicking on the "Geometry" branch and using "Export Text File" will make this even easier, as you can use Excel to look at the listing of bodies (useful if you have many solid and line bodies, for example). This is much easier than going through the solver output to look at the mass of the corresponding elements. (There can be small differences if your line bodies have curvature, as it depends on your element size and whether that curvature is captured well by the mesh, but generally speaking, you can use the Worksheet view of the Geometry branch to get a quick listing of your masses of all of your bodies.)
      Regards Sheldon

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.