Fluids

Fluids

Checkpointing an ANSYS FLUENT Simulation

• rodriguez
      Subscriber

Hello all,

I have just today learnt about Checkpointing an ANSYS FLUENT Simulation. I have tested it and works. The only problem is that it is saving the case and data file in .gz compressed format, taking a lot of time.

Is there any variable I can set to default the extension .cas and .dat in the checkpointing saving?

Thank you in advance.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Looking at https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v222/en/flu_ug/flu_ug_checkpointing.html?q=checkpoint I suspect not.  If you open the Preferences (under File in Fluent) what is the I/O set as? If Legacy you'll get .cas.gz if CFF you get the h5 format. The latter is significantly faster, but can fail to write correctly. 

• rodriguez
        Subscriber

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The thing is that .cas is what I need.

That's why I hope there is some command for it. I mean, there must be, but I don't think they are documented. It is like the command:

(set! checkpoint/check-filename "./check-fluent")

I found it online and is useful, but I don't think it will be in the help.

So, if anyone has access to such commands, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Which version? For me it write in HDF format.

• rodriguez
        Subscriber

Hi, 2019R1

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Probably not possible at the old version and one cannot change the format. Update to a recent version, if this of great importance for you.

• rodriguez
        Subscriber

OK...

Thanks anyways

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.