General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Clamping and bending analysis query

• NAmeliaB91
      Subscriber

ANSYS newbie here! For this simulation I am trying to represent a Scaffold coupler being clamped to a scaffold tube, whilst the tube is supported and a load is being applied to the tube. Fortunately I have achieved the clamping effect of the coupler to the tube and I am happy with the results. However, I want to also see the behaviour of the coupler when a load and support is placed on the tube. When I tinker with the simulation by suppressing either the clamping (bolt pre-tension) or the application of load, I get the expected results. But when activating them both I do not get the results I am expecting.    I'm just wondering if this combined application can be done in ANSYS? The purpose of this simulation is to represent some four point bending tests,where a coupler is torqued to the tube at 50Nm (on each fastener). The attached screenshot should hopefully show the scenario more clearly to what I have described. Any information/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.   

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Uniform thin walled parts like the pipe and the sheetmetal parts of the clamp are best represented in the model using shell elements. You can get shell elements if you open the Geometry editor and create a Midsurface from the solid bodies, and the sheet thickness will be automatically assigned to the surface.

In the contact definitions, set them to Use Sheet Thickness, and the contacts will behave like they do for the solid bodies. Though there seems to be a gap of the wall thickness, they will work properly. If you set the display to show shell thickness, it will look again like the solid bodies in Mechanical.

• NAmeliaB91
      Subscriber

Thank you for the quick response peteroznewman. I will be sure to try to this based on the information you have provided. If possible,are you able to advise if there is a tutorial available that may assist me in setting up the shell elements in Geometry Editor?

Thank you.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

What release of ANSYS are you using?

Which Geometry Editor do you have available?  SpaceClaim or DesignModeler

Which CAD system did you create the geometry in?  SolidWorks can create a Midsurface.

• NAmeliaB91
      Subscriber

I'm currently using Workbench 2019 R2 (student version) but also have access to ANSYS 18.2 at University.

I appear to have available, both SpaceClaim and DesignModeler. The CAD system I created my geometry in was Autodesk Inventor 2020.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Try SpaceClaim for Midsurface on the Prepare tab.

• NAmeliaB91
      Subscriber

I've been able to import the STEP file of the CAD geometry into Design Modeler and successfully created mid surface of the tube and coupler/clamp. However, the difficulty I am now having is trying to apply the force and fixed support at designated positions on the tube/pipe as shown on the original solid model screenshots. During the mid surface operation the tube/pipe has now lost all it's 'reference' edges that were once visible in the solid model. 

Sorry for the many issues - I'm still trying to get to grips with the basics.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You will be much better off once you get the midsurface finished. It will solve faster and with more accuracy.

You can create a plane and use the Move tool to drag it to the right location and then split the face with the plane.  You can also create a plane through the center of the pipe, draw some curves on that plane and Project those curves onto the midsurface.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.