3D Design

3D Design

Column Analysis

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hello,

i  am analyzing a wide flange column. Its a standard section from Ansys standard section table. i am trying to have fixed support at column bottom end.

i am not able to pick a surface at bottom end of column  to assign fixed support to it. Attached is the model.

Also in the tree why is Eigen analysis  showing up before the static analysis?

Regards,

Sam

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Sam,

When you use Beam elements, the geometry is represented as a curve, and a curve (or line) has a vertex at the end, there is no surface at the end.  Mechanical has a Vertex filter that has to be pressed when you are trying to pick the end of a curve to assign a Fixed Support.

Note that what you see in the Graphics window depends on which check marks are checked in the View menu. In the image above, the Cross Section Solids (Geometry) was unchecked so you see the curve only.

It doesn't matter that the Eigen analysis is before Static Structural in the Outline, Workbench knows that the Static Structural has to be solved before the Buckling analysis can start.

Regards,

Peter

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Great. Thanks a lot Peter!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.