3D Design

3D Design

Combine Tool, Unable to Intersect bodies, Spaceclaim

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Hi All,

When i use Combine Tool, i get the message"Unable to Intersect bodies". i am using the screw to remove material from the block.

i selected the block as target object, then selected screw as a cutter, then i get the error message. Not sure what i am doing wrong.

Regards,

Sam

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

Sam

Likely the 2 angled spline faces of the screw thread, intersecting the both sides of the grey block, is proving to be a specific geometry intersection special case. 

Try to split the faces of the screw part (with a plane) somewhere in the middle of where the block is, and try to intersect the two bodies again.

F

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Thanks, Frank!

When i insert the screw into the block and thru it, use "Combine" tool, and remove the screw, why is there a part of the screwing showing on the other side.

1. Is there a way not to have it?

1. How do i remove the protrusion ?

Thanks!

Sam

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

You are using Combine and it merged the screw body to the Block body. Use the Combine to Cut the block with the screw.

OR, you can just create a square sketch (in the Black Block component, and Pull>Cut the extrusion through the screw thread that is protruding.

F

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Did you create screw geometry in spaceclaim? Did you import it?

Please check screw geometry for any errors. Please use right click over the screw body in model tree and use check geometry. If the geometry has any errors, please correct them. 

As Frank has pointed out, please use cut option in combine instead of merge. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

reference 

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Geometry created in SpaceClaim. Yes the screw has geometry errors in the threads. i removed the threads. it worked. I didn't use merge when i used "Combine".

Did it merge because of the errors in the screw geometry?

Thanks,

Sam

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

If geometry has errors then subsequent operations may fail and may give wrong results. 

So it is always recommended to have error free bodies before doing any operations on bodies. 

If this solves your issue, can you please mark this as 'Is Solution' to help others on forum. 

• sameerfares
      Subscriber

Thanks!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.