General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Combining shape functions (Element order)

• ciema
      Subscriber

Hello,

just one question about the use of element order. I know that we can apply different shape functions by using Body Sizing. For example I have a big numerical model which is build on linear shape functions. But is it recommended to switch on some parts on the model and use quadratic element order (for example on solids)? Is there any recommendations or instructions when we can mix element order and when it is not recommended?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      In Workbench, under the Mesh branch of the outline, in the Details window is Element Order. That is where you can change the global setting as either Linear or Quadratic. As you note, you can override the global setting for a particular body by applying a Mesh Control called Body Sizing.
      The default setting for Meshing in Static Structural analysis is Quadratic elements. This is the best choice when Tetrahedral elements are meshing solid bodies. This is a good choice for shell elements on surface bodies, especially when there are curved edges.
      Explicit Dynamics requires Linear elements, and if you use that analysis, the global setting under Mesh will create linear elements.
      Some Static Structural analyses with nonlinear hyperelastic materials will have better convergence with linear elements than quadratic elements.
      Some Static Structural analyses with frictional contact will have better convergence with linear elements than quadratic elements.
    • ciema
      Subscriber
      Thank you very much for the wide response :)
      So there are no limitations if I use Share Topology and use for connected bodies (that have shared topology) a different element order?
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.