General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Compression simulation – how to simulate increasing load to a fixed strain?

• FEMduffy
      Subscriber

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a simulation for a new project and think I'm missing something. I'd like to create a simulation for uni axial, unconfined compression of a porous construct.

In real life, rather than applying a fixed load, we applied an increasing load at a fixed cross-head speed up to a fixed strain (20%), but I'm not seeing how to implement that in structural

Basically, I need to fix the construct at one end and apply a load at the other, such that the load compresses the scaffold to the same strain of 20%, and I'm looking to get compressive modulus and yield stress data from this experiment

I'm also interested in including plastic deformation into this simulation, since the constructs were plastically deformed in real life

Sorry in advance if this has been addressed already!

• SaiD
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

You can run a Static Structural and apply a displacement such that 20% strain is created. Since 20% is a large strain, make sure to have Large Deflection option in Analysis Setting to be On. You can also do a Transient Structural analysis if the dynamic effects are important, e.g. if the inertial effects need to be considered. But if it is a simple uniaxial compression test, in most cases, a Static Structural analysis can be used.

Hope this helps,

Sai

• FEMduffy
      Subscriber

Hi Sai,

Thank you for clarifying that for me! In hindsight that makes a lot of sense; I guess I would fix one end in that case and apply a displacement from the other end? I'll follow up with how it goes!

• FEMduffy
      Subscriber

Do cross-head speed and initial pre-load force matter for this displacement simulation?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.