General Mechanical

General Mechanical

compression test

• Amin1372
      Subscriber

Dear friends

1) I want to simulate the compression test of  ABS specimen(its an honeycomb structure) in ANSYS.

2) Should i use the tensile test data of standard ABS specimen(obtained experimentally)  to model the material for plasticity or

3) Will I have to do compression test of a standard cube element of ABS and then use the data obtained to model the material for plasticity?

please reply

• SaiD
      Ansys Employee
      Hello Amin,nDue to company policies, Ansys employees cannot download any attachments. Could you use the 'Upload Image' option (second from left) to add images to your post?nBased on your description, if the body is under pure compression, then the minimum principal strain should be the variable to look at. But this depends on how you constrain the body. If it is constrained from deforming laterally, you are constraining its lateral deformation due to Poisson effect. In such a case it is not under 'pure' compression.nAnother question to look at would be: why do you want the maximum strain in the body? If the body is composed of a brittle material, then looking at it's minimum principal strain might be good enough. But if the body is made of a ductile material that might undergo yielding, the you would want to look at the maximum equivalent strain.nnHope this helps,nSain
    • Amin1372
      Subscriber
      Hello Sai,nThanks for your help, the material is mouse bone which I think it's brittle. I applied 5N force at one end and the opposite end is fixed but I am not sure it's correct because the results are not clear to me since I expected to see the higher strain in the middle instead of being close to the fixed support.nnn
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.