General Mechanical

General Mechanical

COMPRESSION TEST

• saurabhiitk
      Subscriber

Dear friends

1) I want to simulate the compression test of  ABS specimen(its an honeycomb structure) in ANSYS.

2) Should i use the tensile test data of standard ABS specimen(obtained experimentally)  to model the material for plasticity or

3) Will I have to do compression test of a standard cube element of ABS and then use the data obtained to model the material for plasticity?

please reply

• Wenlong
      Ansys Employee

Hi sarabhiitk,

It depends on whether your material has a different young's modulus, yield point and hardening modulus in compression and tension. If yes, you do need to obtain a separate set of experiment data in compression.

However, you may use the tensile data as a placeholder to set up your model first. If after your research you do believe a compressive data is needed, you can simply replace the material properties in the model.

Regards,

Wenlong

• saurabhiitk
      Subscriber

Hello Wenlong

Thanks for your reply.

what should be the dimensions and shape of the model to be tested under compression?

Regards

SAURABH

• Wenlong
      Ansys Employee

Hi Saurabh,

That I am not familiar with but I am sure there are some standards in ASTM: https://www.admet.com/testing-applications/testing-standards/astm-e9-metal-compression-testing/

Or else you can find it in the literature. 

Regards,

Wenlong

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.