Fluids

Fluids

Computational Domain Question for VOF model

• sugarl14
      Subscriber

Hi,

I'm modeling a wave energy device in shallow water that is hinged to the sea floor, and pierces the surface of the water by a given amount. I am working on my computational domain and had some questions. So far, I have removed "hinged flap" from the inner domain, and have used a tetrahedral mesh on the entire model. The mesh at the water surface interface and in the inner domain are refined to capture results better.

• YasserSelima
      Subscriber
      1) If you are using k-omega model, unfortunately you have to decrease the cell height ... this will require smaller time step to avoid negative cell volume. k-epsilon would require larger height cells. So, you can do simulations faster ... but the results are less accurate (I mean forces on the wall).nn2) The mesh you are expecting to be remeshed, are the ones to be tetra ... do whatever in the rest as long as they will not be remeshedn
    • sugarl14
      Subscriber
      Thank you for your reply.nWhen you say cell height are you referring to the maximum element size?n
    • sugarl14
      Subscriber
      Also, really quick-- I see some people select Double Precision when opening ansys fluent. What does this option actually do?nn
    • YasserSelima
      Subscriber
      yes, I mean element size ... ndouble precision uses more digits which result in higher accuracy .. but it requires more memory. Personally, I use it always by default. It is not mandatory and makes no difference in most of the cases, but sometimes where values are too small, it makes a differencen
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.