Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Conformal Meshing

• rumth
      Subscriber

Hi,

How can I generate conformal meshing in the following image? There are 3 parts with different element size and meshing each part separately. Facing problem to simulate because the shared edged treating as a wall in fluent. I  have tried to convert this walls to interface and pairing them but not the the expected flow. Seems that, flow is bounded by the wall.

I have tried with different share topology options but not solved the problem yet.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please show what you get with a Shared Topology mesh.

Please attach the Workbench Project Archive .wbpz file to your post above so I can try meshing your geometry.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Open DM, select all parts, then Form New Part, you can get Shared Topology between all the surface bodies.

You have a strip with a 0.5 mm size that has a 9 mm size body on either side, an 18:1 ratio.

That is too much to get a valid mesh. The mesh below is obsolete.

Try using element sizes that are not so different.

• rumth
      Subscriber

I need 0.5mm mesh in this small region and I have tried with 5mm element size surrounding of these small regions but not getting expected mesh. What can I do now?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Okay, keep the 0.5 mm mesh in the small region and keep reducing the adjacent regions. At some point between 5 and 0.5 mm, the mesh will become valid unless you have some bad geometric features on those surface bodies, but that is a different problem. 

• rumth
      Subscriber

I have tried by face split. Spit the whole geometry face by face split option. Doing that the surface body is not slicing but I can choose the face part for different element sizes. But getting triangular mesh in some region.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Triangle elements are acceptable in some regions. It it better to have rectangular elements along walls by using the inflation layer. So do you now have a conformal mesh?

• rumth
      Subscriber

Yes. Meshing is conformal because I have putted all part body into new part. So surely it will give conformal mesh. But problem is I have defined the element sizes in each body (also tested with face) for the quadrilateral mesh but some zone creates trinagular mesh and the number of element is 2.3 million! The reason for this is triangular mesh forming. I never want such number of mesh whereas my target is 0.5-0.7 million mesh. How can I control this meshing?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You'll need to alter the various size settings & options. Maybe use local sizing where you need the high resolution and let the cell size exceed the 0.5mm you specified away from the area of interest?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.