General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Connect Link180 to Shell181

• kadamakos
      Subscriber

Hello dear members,

I would like to connect a structural cable (LINK180) to the edge of a surface (SHELL181). I use the benchmark 19.2 with a university license.

The surface is a membrane and the cable is able to slide along the surface. So, I need to have the UY,UZ fixed and UX and rotations free.

I have tried to used a general joint, however it does not work properly.

I am not sure what kind of properties should I define. e.g. remote attachment, direct, etc.??Which line should be the mobile, which the reference???

best regards and

thank you in advance.

• Pthieffry
      Ansys Employee
      Hello, it seems like you have the same number of nodes between the link elements and the edge of the membrane. Why not simply couple the UY and UZ degrees of freedom of the nodes ?n
    • Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee
      HinnI assume you are modelling membrane/rope structure and interaction.nnThe easiest way to allow the rop/cable to slide along the membrane let us say in the X direction is by defining a bonded MPC contact between the cable line body and membrane edge.nnWe can deactivate/activate the dof in the constraint equations used in the bonded contact by using a command snippet under the contact in question (see below). Snippet is as follows (for more info see hep manual section 10.1.3 APDL)nnKEYOPT,tid,4,000110 ! The 000110 is for UZ, and UY to be active and UX is 0 and not active (the last zero).nnnAlso a general joint might work.nnAll the bestnnErikn
    • kadamakos
      Subscriber
      Thank you very much for you help Array. nit works properly! check visual results in the pic below. nI was wondering if I could make a simpler model by just coupling the DOFs of the common nodes, as Arrayproposed. nI tried the constraint equation, but as far as I understand, I need remote points that I don't like so much.nif there is a simple command to couple the DOFs, I would appreciate it. nnthank you again for your help. nKostas n n
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.