Fluids

Fluids

Connecting the Engineering Data to CFX

• hgsdvd
      Subscriber

Hello guys, 

I am modeling a steel bar by using CFX. Although I knew that there is materials library in CFX, but I used the Engineering Data in the Transient Analysis to define the thermal and structural properties with respect to time(Attached).

My question now is, how can I make sure that the steel bar in CFX has been defined with those properties and they transferred

correctly from Engineering Data to CFX?

Thank you so much gor your help

Muha

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

I am not a CFX expert, but you can not connect the engineering data of Structural systems to the Fluid flow system. What are you trying to simulate in CFX? Is it fluid flow around Steel part?

• Ananth Narayan
      Subscriber

Both CFX and CFD does not uses any external material link. But it is defined inside the CFD or CFX. In fluent you will have to define material with other properties inside material tab.

• hgsdvd
      Subscriber

Thanks guys for your reply.

Yes, it is a fluid ( Ideal gas). The engineering data is not only for structural analysis, but also can be used in thermal analysis, APDL, and others.I showed this method to my academic advisor and he said it worked. However, I still have some doubts because when I used the engineering data, I did not select any geometry to define in CFX as well as the material section in CFX did not show any sign that the materials are defined. So I am not sure. 

Could any body confirm this method? If this does not work, what are my other options? 

Thanks for help.

Muha 

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

malasi4, sorry about the confusion, when I said Structural, I actually meant the Mechanical products which use APDL solver (This includes Static or transient structural and thermal systems).

These systems won't transfer material properties from engineering data to CFX. You'll need to define it in CFX most probably. A quick search in help manual yielded following:

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v192/cfx_pre/i1317546.html

If you are unable to access the link above please see this post and this on how to access help if you are using 19 or above.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.